Monday, November 25, 2013

Discouragement

I guess it's fitting that I couldn't find the message upon which I was going to base this post.  Dating discouragement is the name of the game these days.  Three messages seems to be the limit of a conversation.  Is it something I said?  Am I not interesting enough?  Too interesting?  Just not putting enough energy into it?
The ex told me he found one of my profiles, which means several things: 1) He's looking at dating women other than his long-term girlfriend, with or without her knowledge.  I have no idea of their relationship status at this point, although I did notice that he was texting her yesterday when I went to pick up the kid.  That may or may not mean anything.  Both of them love drama and have texted obsessively since the beginning.  Whenever that was.  2) He's seen my profile.  Maybe he'll see my other profiles.  I fall into his desired demographic, after all.  Should I change anything about the way I'm presenting myself?  If so, what?  What's the balance of being open to new love while not exposing myself unduly?  Should I just give up this nonsense if I can't do it anonymously?  Or should I forge ahead, ex be damned?  It's not like I'm looking for hookups or to be tied up and flogged.  Not that I don't respect that as a kink, it's just not what I'm looking for.
With that said, what am I looking for?  Kindness, empathy, joie de vivre, height?  A willingness to wash the dishes?  Hmmm.  Sounds like another blog post in the making ...

4 comments:

  1. I would guess that you are just too interesting for these people. From your other posts it sounds like it is a lot easier to find strange people with stranger habits than it is to find someone who is willing to do the dishes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I started to list the possibilities of what you're looking for with respect to what single (-ish?) men are scrolling for, but you know what? That's all conjecture. I know it was only after I dropped my preconceived notions of what I was looking for, hoping for, etc., that I freed myself up to the actual possibilities. But that doesn't necessarily sound like the issue for you. It's a tough spot, really. Trying to make yourself vulnerable, open to new people--people who may or may not be willing to do the same for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Or his Orthodox equivalent, St. Theophil. Can you ask to find something that you haven't lost in the first place?

    ReplyDelete